This is an Italian favorite. It’s so simple to prepare and you can apply the same recipe with the majority of shellfish. For example, you can combine clams and mussels. You can also prepare it in the ‘white’ version, by just leaving out the tomato. It’s simple, healthy but so packed with flavor.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 160 g of calamarata pasta, alternatively you can also use paccheri pasta, a gluten free pasta, or any another kind you like.
- 350 g of clams, thoroughly rinsed
- 10 cherry tomatoes or one large tomato, diced
- a handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ glass of white wine
- 1 clove of garlic, in halves without the green germ
- 1 red chili pepper, only the outer skin
- 2 Tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Add the olive oil to a pan and caramelize the garlic on low heat. Add the tomato and let it soften. When the tomato is ready, add the clams, the chili pepper, and season. Add the white wine and let it evaporate, stir and cover with a lid. Shake the pan every now and then, and wait for all the shells to open. When they are all opened, turn off the fire. Remove the garlic and the chili pepper.
Meanwhile prepare the pasta, boiling it in salted water, deducting 2 minutes from your package instructions, to keep it ‘al dente’, taste to check if it’s cooked properly, and drain. Add the pasta to the pan and stir for a few seconds. Serve with a sprinkle fresh parsley on top.