I have always believed that I can improve everything I do by finding an easier, quicker, and more effective way. I constantly commit myself to this motto. In this case, the result is an extremely light and healthy Parmigiana recipe, compared to the original. There is no frying involved, it just takes a few simple steps, and the flavor is … spectacular!
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 2 large eggplants/aubergines, cut into ½ cm discs
- red pesto sauce as per my recipe (vegan, dairy-free version)
- 2 traditional mozzarella or vegan mozzarella, cut into ½ cm slices
- 4 Tbsp of Parmigiano Reggiano or 2 Tbsp of powdered nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp of crumbled bread, if you are celiac use a gluten-free alternative or ground gluten-free oats
- 2 Tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few extra fresh basil leaves for decoration, roughly chopped
Cut the eggplants into discs, carve them lightly with a knife, season, and drizzle with some olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 °, until golden brown. Let them cool.
Prepare the red pesto sauce (vegan, dairy-free version), blending the ingredients in a high-speed mini blender or a traditional blender for about a minute.
Sprinkle some breadcrumbs in a small baking dish, and prepare the layers with: the grilled eggplants, 1 teaspoon of red pesto on each eggplant disc, a slice of mozzarella, a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese/nutritional yeast. Repeat the operation until you have finished piling the layers. You should obtain about 3-4 layers. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese/nutritional yeast on top. Bake in the oven for another 20 minutes at 200 ° + 3 minutes of grill, or until nicely brown and crispy on top. Decorate with the fresh basil leaves, and serve the Parmigiana whilst still hot, in adorable mono-portions.