Pasta and beans or ‘pasta e fagioli’ is a classic of the Italian cuisine. It’s an incredibly complete dish, filled with protein and packed with flavour. A healthy combination which feels like comfort food at the same time, very easy to prepare as it’s a one pot-dish. That’s a real dream when you’ve had a long day at work. Let’s make it!
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 160 g of pasta, I’m using orecchiette because I like how they ‘capture’ the beans. You can use any other kind you like.
- 1 jar of red kidney beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 clove of garlic, in halves without the green germ
- 10 cherry tomatoes or 1 large tomato, diced
- a handful of fresh basil, finely chopped. Alternatively, you can use a sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped.
- a sprinkle of red chili pepper
- 700 ml of vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Add the olive oil to a pan and caramelize the garlic on a low heat. Add the tomato and wait for it to soften. When the tomato is ready, add the beans, herbs, and spices. Stir for a few minutes and then add the hot vegetable broth. Add the pasta to the pan and let it all simmer, stirring every now and then, until all the broth has been absorbed. This operation is called ‘risottare’ the pasta, just like making a risotto. Add some more broth in case the pasta isn’t ready yet, try anyway to keep it ‘al dente’ (with a bite to it). Remove the garlic. Serve with a sprinkle of olive oil on the top, and enjoy!