Polenta is an incredibly versatile dish. In Italy we like to make also some sweet versions, usually as a treat or as a dessert, and we call them ‘polentine dolci’. Did you know that you can prepare a polenta dish in the same way you prepare your oatmeal? So, to support our hectic lifestyles, I decided to adapt the basic polenta recipe to create a quick and healthy breakfast, or alternatively an instant dessert.
This naturally gluten-free breakfast takes literally only 2 minutes to prepare, it will be satisfying, delicious, and you will still feel light and ready to start the day full of energy after you ate it.
You can, of course, use the same concept to prepare a quick savoury polenta dish.
Ingredients for 1 serving
- 40 g of instant polenta flour, I’m using ‘taragna’style, you can use any other kind you like, preferably whole wheat. If you are a celiac, make sure it’s gluten-free.
- 160 ml of warm water, or coconut milk, or another plant-based milk of your choice
- ¼ vanilla pod, scraping out the seeds, or ½ tsp of natural vanilla flavor
- a sprinkle of powdered cinnamon
- 1 tsp of maple syrup, agave syrup, or another plant-based sweetener of your choice
- fresh orange slices, or other fresh fruit of your choice
- a sprinkle of cocoa nibs or chocolate flakes, for decoration
Place the polenta flour, the cinnamon, the vanilla, and the sweetener into a microwave-safe bowl. Add the warm water or the plant-based milk. Stir with a whisk or a milk frother, until you achieve a smooth consistency.
Microwave for about 1 minute at 600 watts, then stir with a teaspoon. Microwave for another minute, and stir again.
In case you don’t have a microwave, you can cook the polenta on the stove. Add the water or the plant-based milk to a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat, and slowly add the polenta to the saucepan while stirring it with a whisk or a wooden spoon, to prevent any lumps. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency you prefer, while you continue to stir.
Decorate with the fresh fruit, chocolate flakes and enjoy!