This time I am mixing two Italian classics in one recipe, pasta e patate and pasta e fagioli, to achieve a supreme combination with both potatoes and beans: creamy, tasty, rich in vegetable protein, low in saturated fat, and with cholesterol lowering powers.
As usual, when working with legumes, remember it’s very important to thoroughly rinse the beans to help your digestive activity.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 160 gr of pasta, I am using Toffette, you can use any other kind you like
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 jar of borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 clove of garlic, in halves without the green germ
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- fresh thyme, finely chopped
- a sprinkle of red chili pepper powder
- 700 ml of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
Add the olive oil to a pan and caramelize the onion and garlic on a low heat. Add the potatoes, beans, herbs, and spices. Stir for a few minutes and then add the vegetable broth, leaving a few ladles of broth for a later stage. Let it simmer for about half an hour, until all the broth has been absorbed, stirring every now and then.
Meanwhile prepare the pasta, boiling it in salted water, deducting 2 minutes from your package instructions, to keep it ‘al dente’, taste to check if it’s cooked properly, and drain.
Remove the garlic from the pan, add the pasta, add a ladle or two of broth and let it simmer while stirring, until the broth is absorbed again.
Add a sprinkle of olive oil, some thyme for decoration, and serve.