Today I am going to show you how you can prepare in a few simple steps an amazing Veg Kebab Sandwich, and it will take even less time than having it delivered. This healthy deliciousness will have only ingredients selected by you, and it’s completely plant-based.
The mushrooms will mimic the texture of the kebab, and they will leave you satisfied, feeling light and healthy. I like to substitute the salad with some baby spinach leaves, for a nutritional boost. Try it, it will not let you down.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 300 g of oyster mushrooms, cut in long stripes
- a handful of fresh thyme
- a handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, in halves without the green germ
- 2 pita bread, better if whole wheat
- 1 tomato, sliced
- A few baby spinach leaves, or simple salad leaves
- 1 tsp of vegan mayonnaise, or traditional mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ of an onion, sliced
- a splash of sriracha, mixed with the mayonnaise, in case you want to spice it up
Add the olive oil to a pan and caramelize the garlic on low heat. Add the mushrooms, the water, the herbs, season, and stir. Let them cook, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mushrooms start to brown. Remove the garlic.
Cut the pita bread open, heat it up for less than a minute in your microwave at 600 W. Spread the mayonnaise (or mayonnaise and sriracha mix), add the mushrooms, the tomato slices, the baby spinach leaves, (the onion), and serve. If you like, complete the dish with some oven baked home-made potatoes.